B40 Will Be Getting A Cheaper Fixed-Line Internet Unity Package

But there’s no mention of pricing and availability.
(credit: Taras Shypka on Unsplash/ Malay Mail)

Subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.

Last December, Fahmi Fadzil, the Communications and Digital Minister (KKD) unveils the “Pakej Perpaduan” (Unity Package), which is a prepaid mobile data plan that offers subscribers 30GB for RM30 over the course of six months. This data plan will be offered to young people, B40 communities, people with disabilities, senior residents, and veterans of the police and military. Now, he is targeting fixed-line internet for the low-income group.

According to a news report by the Malay Mail, Fahmi announced that a Unity Package for fixed-line internet will be introduced for the B40 group in Malaysia. He stated that the Secretary-General of KKD, Datuk Seri Mohammad Mentek, has been instructed to talk to the relevant parties regarding the package.

The recently unveiled mobile data plan Unity Package is set to launch this month. The implementation of the package involves five telecommunications service providers, CelcomDigi, Maxis, UMobile, Telekom Malaysia, and YTL Communications.

Fahmi emphasized the importance of telecom providers in ensuring internet connectivity for all areas, including the 3% of areas currently without access and the remaining 97% with “potholes.” Fahmi added that he and his deputy, Teo Nie Ching, are committed to resolving internet issues promptly.

From what we gathered, Celcom currently offers the cheapest home fibre internet package at RM80 per month with speed up to 30Mbps in Malaysia and it comes with unlimited data quota. If the government can offer a cheaper fixed-line internet with the same speed, that would be very helpful for those who are on a tight budget.

Share your thoughts with us via TechTRP's Facebook, Twitter and Telegram channel for the latest stories and updates.

Previous Post

Fahmi: We Plan To Create A Cyber Security Commission And Hold Cyber Security Talks With Singapore Annually

Next Post

EA Shuts Down Apex Legends Mobile And Battlefield Mobile

Related Posts